Tuesday 1 February 2011

It's all about the hair

So bf wanted a shave this weekend. In this household it is my job to shave his head every one or two months. For some reason he trusts me not to cut him up. Which is harder than it sounds. He has an itchy scalp and scratches himself bloody. So there are a lot of old wounds that are just waiting to be cut open again by me. So far I've done well. But cutting his hair reminded me that I had some dye there. So I made him dye mine. Hate doing that by myself. In my university days I would always get one of my friends to dye mine and then dye hers in return. We had little hair dying parties at each others places. Usually invited over a couple of other friends as well and boozed it up a bit.

Anyway I had bought a new brand that was supposed to only soak in for ten minutes. I figured since I do this a lot, might be a good idea to limit exposure time. That was so not a good idea. First of all, the colourant was very liquidy and dripped all over our carpet (don't really care about that, the carpet is past it's lifetime anyway). But worst of all it started to sting really bad. I started to sneeze from the chemicals and my scalp started to burn. Not badly but I never had that before with any other colour. I guess only ten minutes exposure time means about three times the amount of chemicals then the other colourants. Was I glad when those ten minutes were finally over! Next time I will switch back to my normal colour. Yeah, and the colour didn't turn out that well either. Especially in the front where all my grey hair accumulates the colour is very uneven. Now I understand that the grey will always look a bit lighter than the rest of the hair, but this is a really big difference and the grey hair looks almost orange. I hope that will change with time. So yeah, big fail. Will fix it next months.

So the next day I figured while I'm ruining my hair I might as well go to the hairdresser. And a cheap one at that. Paid £10 for a cut. I was in and out in about 15 minutes. Despite expectations the cut looks really good!


I noticed that from the side the hair colour looks really good. Hmm, so maybe it's just the front that's ruined. Might have to start walking sideways now and not talk to people face to face. But I do love the cut. Sooo much shorter than before. Maybe a bit early as it is still cold outside. Will leave you with that. Off to the shower to try to get the orange out a bit more.

2 comments:

  1. i'm very particular about my hair so i usually just cut and dye it myself (there have only been 2 places that i've had good experiences with but it costs between $50-$65 for a cut, and with my hair being so short i don't feel its worth it if i can just do it myself..)
    From what i can see i do think the color turned out well! Too bad you had a bad reaction to it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you cut it yourself? I imagine that's really hard especially in the back? Unless you're an owl ;-)
    I wanted to convince my bf to do it. Because I hate being at the hairdresser 1) because they usually charge a ridiculous amount of money, 2) I hate it when people touch my hair/head. But he refused! Didn't want to mess it up... My standards are very low, so no idea where he gets that idea.
    I think I will revert back to my usual brand. Though I saw a commercial for a colourant that was a foam. Very intrigued by that. I guess there would be no dripping.

    ReplyDelete